Monday, April 21, 2014

Springsteen Coming to Atlanta...My (current) top 10


Any true Springsteen fan knows that whenever he or she comes up with a top 10 list, a couple of things are certain. First, it won't be the same as it was six months ago, or maybe even six days ago. It has everything to do with the mood you are in when compiling the list.

Secondly, you'll tend to agree with about 75 percent of those who call you an idiot for leaving off their favorite song. I've compiled this list probably a dozen times. This time, I'm not looking at I-Tunes or album catalogs to remind me of ones that I might miss. I'm just going to spit out 10, with a sentence of why I chose it. In no certain order, today's top 10 is:

-- Trapped: Almost always makes my list, regardless of mood.
-- No Surrender: The live version from the '75-'85 is preferred. I've loved it too long and too consistently for it not to be on the list.
-- The Ghost of Tom Joad: With Morello. My friend Clay gives me a hard time for seeing Bruce with him during the Ghost of Tom Joad tour, in an intimate setting, and being utterly unimpressed. He's right to give me a hard time. But I do like the rocker version better.
-- Land of Hope and Dreams: Beautiful, powerful and hopeful.
-- Lost in the Flood: Live version. I've heard it live once or twice. Memorable.
-- One Step Up: One of five amazing songs on Tunnel of Love. Who'd have thunk it at the time?
-- Badlands: Too fun to sing along with to not have on the list.
-- Tenth Avenue Freeze Out: See above.
-- Bobby Jean: Never made a top 10 list for me. But it stirs something in me every time.
-- Born to Run: Tried really hard to leave it off, but seeing it live time after time makes it a must.

And there you go. For me to list the obvious omissions would be cheap. I left them off because of right now, this minute, they aren't my favorites (even though three of them would be on my all-time top 10 list.)

What say you?


No comments:

Post a Comment